1. Is my property eligible for an as-of-right Laneway Suite?
In order to qualify for an as-of-right Laneway suite, your property must:
- Reside within Toronto/East York, North York, Etobicoke or Scarborough
- Have a residential zoning designation (R, RS, RT, RM, RD) as per the Toronto Zoning By-law
- Must abut a municipally designated laneway for a minimum width of 3.5 meters
- For emergency service access, provide a 1.0 meter wide unobstructed path of access from your front curb or be located within 45.0 meters of the end of the laneway
These are minimum requirements, and minor variations may be acquired in some cases.
We offer a Free Property Review that confirms your lot’s eligibility and an approximate buildable area – no site visit required! Please send us an email with your address or survey and our team will provide a complete report shortly thereafter.
2. Can I sever my Laneway Suite?
Laneway suites are non-severable and must share a lot and municipal services with the primary residence. Laneway suites are a great means of increasing property value, providing supplementary rental income, or providing housing flexibility on your existing property.
3. How do I provide services (gas, electricity, and water) to my Laneway Suite?
Services to your laneway suite are typically supplied from the main house. When extending services from the primary residence, the incoming services must meet minimum sizes to accommodate the additional demand. We recommend sub-metering the laneway suite.
4. How much will my Laneway Suite cost to build?
As with any construction project, costs vary depending on existing conditions, the building design, and size. Generally, laneway suites cost significantly less than condos, and produce significantly more income than basement apartments or other types of secondary suites.
For more details on cost and revenue, or to inquire about municipal incentives for fixed below market-rate rental suites, send us an email.
5. Will a Laneway Suite increase my property value?
An income-generating unit will marginally increase costs, and significantly increase revenue and equity value. In the majority of cases, a properly executed laneway suite will produce income and equity, both in the short and long term.
Still have questions? Send us an email with any inquiries pertaining to the by-laws, your property’s particular circumstances, or how to get started on your own Laneway Suite. Be sure to include your address or a copy of your survey. We look forward to hearing from you!